Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Making little men this summer..

It has been far too long since I have updated this blog, I guess the boys and I have been to busy living life this summer. We had a lot of fun, shared some laughs and we all learned so much, myself included.

JC starts kindergarten next week and Jack starts his last year of Special Ed pre-school. I was reflecting on our summer a little bit as I got their school supply lists together (Spending $200 bucks at Wal Mart without buying an above ground pool will make you do that).

I know that I will never win father of the year but I feel I do a great job of teaching my boys how to be polite and thoughtful kids as well as how to make the most out of every situation. I want them to be strong independent men that make good decisions and leave every person and situation they come in contact with better than how they found it. I think I accomplish this with each of the boys daily in their own way.

JC just turned 6 years old. There is no mistaking he is my son. He loves to crack jokes, he notices everything and has a memory like no kid I have ever met. I treat him like he is 10 years old or older because I expect him to act that way... and he does. I would take him anywhere with me and usually do. He has road tripped across the southeast, attended large sporting events and will go on sales calls with me. He has a vocabulary that shocks me and embarrasses me at times.

Jack on the other hand is a little different. He just turned 5 and has been diagnosed with Autism since he was 2. He rarely speaks, if at all,  but always manages to communicate what it is he wants. I don't treat Jack any differently than I do JC. More importantly I don't let his  disorder dictate anything about our lives other than the extra therapy he gets at school. You would never guess Jack has special needs by the way he acts or the way he interacts with JC and I. I'm extremely proud of him and all the progress he's made so far.

I guess you can tell these boys mean the world to me. I love them both so much and I am so proud of all the things they have accomplished so far in their young lives. I will continue to show the boys the world, let them to continue to explore and discover. I want them to see right and wrong, for their own opinions and decide what they like and dislike about this crazy world. I can't believe it's time for another school year to start and my big homie is starting kindergarten.

 I have a bet it will take less than 7 days for me to get the first call from his teacher because he said "shut the front door" in class. At least I know Jack is my lil angel and I love them both just the same at the end of the day. Thanks for a great summer boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment